Maggiepaws

Saturday, January 15, 2005

Bathtub Trail

Hello again! This last week my dad was traveling in California for work. He just got back this morning, and decided he wanted to go for a hike and invited Chris and Maggs and I to go along. We did this trail called "Bathtub Trail." It is called that becuase about halfway up the trail there is a bathtub water feature that has about 3 tubs (one a white porcelain, two that are the round tin old fasioned ones) and when it isn't cold outside, water fills up all 3 of them and runs down this hill. It is really funny looking, and of course we forgot our camera, so I don't have a picture to post so you can see it. The trail goes up this huge hill, and I was hurting on the way up. I keep thinking that I am used to the altitude, but I guess I am not. I was pretty dizzy and Chris started to get a headache, but once we got to the top of the hill we surprised this HUGE herd of elk. My grandfather was with us, and he counted about 42 of them up at the top. Maggie was so good. I am always so scared that she is going to run after them (we have seen deer on my parent's property) but she stood completely still while she watched them and stayed right with us. What a good girl. There were also a really cool remains of an old settlers house on top of the hill. It was made of stones and had held up over the years amazingly well...all it needed was a roof. It was fun to walk around in it and think about what it must have been like to live there so many years ago. My grandfather said that the decendents of the settlers come out for a family reunion at the site every summer. How cool. It was a fun afternoon, and good to get out of the house and away from our computers for a while! One more thing. Chris wanted me to mention that his mom got him a really great pair of snow boots for Christmas, and since we have been out here, he has made good use of them, and they were a lifesaver today! He had warm happy feet the whole way on our hike.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading about this trail, I wish I could see it. I'll bet Maggie is still having dreams about the elk. You should make time to go back with your camera so we can see the bathtubs and the settlers house, and maybe elk! Chris, I'm glad you like the boots. Love Mom

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home