Maggiepaws

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Big changes for the Wilkerson’s!



November of 2008 will go down as one to remember for us. We were so excited on November 4 when Barak Obama was elected (sorry republican family and friends!). We went to a watch party and a friend of ours house. Stayed out way too late celebrating. The next day I was super tired. All I wanted to do was come home after work, make something yummy to eat for dinner and watch a chick movie. I did those things, and as I was laying there watching my movie (Bridget Jones Edge of Reason) I just didn’t quite feel right. My imagination got going and I was wondering if I could be pregnant. Chris and I had decided after my birthday to start trying, so it was possible. My friend Mary as a joke had given me all of her old pregnancy tests on by birthday (she had just gotten pregnant and didn’t need them any more). I didn’t think it would happen that quickly, but just for peace of mind thought I would take one. Much to my shock, it came out positive!! I ran out of the bathroom, and told Chris that I think I may be pregnant, but maybe I am reading the thing wrong, could he come and look? He was playing x-box and immediately dropped the controller to come look. It certainly kinda looked positive to him. He was like “take another one!!” That one came out unclear (stupid lines…what the heck does a faint line mean?!). I was worried I was drinking so much water that I was messing up the tests, so we decided to try to sleep on it and try again in the morning. Of course, I woke up at 5am wired. I ran into the bathroom and sure enough the test came out clear. Positive. I am pregnant. I woke Chris up and told him. I had no idea it would happen so quickly!! It had been just shy of a month since we decided to try. I went to the doctor the next day and took the blood test which also came out positive!

I know some of you may be wondering. We have been on the fence about if we wanted to have kids or not for all 6 years we have been married. Turning 30 was a big deal for me, evaluating everything I have done so far in my life, and what I had not done and would regret never doing. Having a baby was certainly up there. My 20’s have been all about me. I want my 30’s to be about family. Chris and I are both settled comfortably in careers we enjoy. We are in a good spot financially. And…we just got a big new house!

We had a nail biter of a week after finding out about the baby waiting on this foreclosure house we have been trying to buy since July. Now with a baby coming, we HAVE to get this house! Almost exactly a week later, we got news that the banks involved had decided to take our offer, so problem solved! It is in a dynamite neighborhood that is perfect for raising a child. Parks and trails everywhere, great schools, tons of other families. Perfect. The one thing is that the house has been treated pretty poorly by the previous owners. When Chris and I made an offer on it last summer, it was with the intention that the two of us would restore it together. Now, I can’t be around paint chemicals, harsh cleaning chemicals (both of which this house needs desperately), and I am tired and sick and don’t have the energy to do it anyways. My family (especially my dad) have been super helpful with pitching in. We would not be as far along as we are now if it weren’t for their help!

Where we stand today: We have the old house on the market (http://www.benjaminday.com/Happiness). Chris is madly working on the new house trying to get it livable so that when we sell we can move (if not sooner). I am 7 weeks along. I am due July 16. I have my first OB visit on Monday to hopefully hear a heartbeat! I have been feeling fine, just very tired. The morning sickness is kicking in this week as well…ugh!! Keep checking the blog. We will be posting progress on everything as we go along!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME! Keep that baby in there till July 23rd though! :-D

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! The baby will definately change your life but in so many good ways! One hug from your little one can lift away all the bad things from your day.
To the mommy to be - Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or feel free to e-mail even if it's to vent about all the "free" advice you're getting. I'm so happy for you guys. I know you will both be amazing parents!

8:38 PM  
Blogger A-Holes Who Travel (with kids) said...

Congratulations...again!!!

I'm so happy for you. Don't forget to put those OB pics online.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home