Maggiepaws

Sunday, February 04, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth

So after hearing many comments about that movie, Chris and I finally sucked it up and rented it. It was very informative, and of course, led to some more house projects!

We discovered that it was pretty cheap and easy to do a few simple things to try to become more energy efficient. We put an insulation blanket around our water heater ($20). I went under the house and insulated all of our water pipes ($15). Chris was a weenie and said he didn’t want to go into the crawl space to help me, so I did it all by myself…hoo-yeah!! Chris always accuses me of using all the hot water in the mornings, so maybe this will help with that as well! We are also exploring compact fluorescent bulbs. I have to say that they are UGLY. I guess that is the whole point of the movie…that making these changes isn’t convenient. We did find that there are bulbs that are long-life ones that aren’t compact fluorescent that look pretty good. They have the energy star label, so they aren’t so bad. They do flicker when you turn them on. I am going to try to live with it! Any other cheap ideas anyone else has found? I can’t afford solar panels, or a hybrid car, but I can afford these other changes!

I recommend the movie to anyone that likes well thought out and presented documentaries. It will really make you think, and respect the world that we all live in so much more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home